The week is split between a Web skills session and a video session. Wednesday was my final Web class and I am so thankful to not be staring at a computer full-time anymore. We did cover some interesting things though...like blogging, how to make web pages through Dreamweaver, uploading onto our private FTP server accounts, editing audio through Audacity and photos through Photoshop, etc. I actually learned a lot. Will I remember it? I hope so.
Today was the first video session. I am the only one in my section who is familiar with Final Cut Pro editing software. I'm also apparently the only one with experience turning out news packages on a daily deadline. After talking with my video production professor, Jim Laurie (very accomplished - you should Google him), he suggested that I might be able to get a waiver for the two video-related courses. He said I may also be able to help as a teaching assistant, but without compensation (bummer). I'm still weighing my options. I really love crafting broadcast pieces and I would like to the experience the challenges/differences of doing it here in Hong Kong. At the same time, if I skip the courses that would free me up to take other, more China-focused, classes. I think those would be fascinating, especially the ones which are geared toward China's influence over the media and how journalists deal with it.
So that pretty much catches us up on my school situation. I can also tell you that I've made many new, wonderful friends. The mix of MJ students is very international. There are quite a few from mainland China, some from HK, and the rest are from all over... UK, Canada, Australia, Germany, South Africa, and the US (California), for a total of around 50 students. I think it should be a good year.
In other news...
Sandy, my Rotary roommate, arrived Monday evening and is settling in. We move into our apartment this Saturday and took care of purchasing a wireless Internet plan while in Central this afternoon. It'll be installed and ready to go on Sunday, which is nice. I was also in Central to register for my Hong Kong Identity Card (HKID), a requirement for anyone staying in HK more than six months. I have a temporary one now and will return in two weeks to get my permanent card. (Photo of my temporary HKID below).
I've also been getting to know some of the other Rotary Scholars studying here. Brian Hoffman, (Kentucky) is here pursuing a Master's in International and Public Affairs, and Laura Wong (California) is here working towards a Master's in Public Health. We had dinner Wednesday in Lan Kwai Fong, a notoriously touristy spot. We ate Malaysian and it was delicious, totally worth being assaulted by the many "restaurant flyer boys" on the way up the street. (Below is a photo of us at dinner).
Brian and I have also done a bit of sightseeing together. Below are photos from our visits to Stanley Market, Repulse Bay, and Kowloon to watch the HK Island light show.
No comments:
Post a Comment