Friday, August 15, 2008

Countdown: 2 Days!!

Packing update: starting soon.

Yesterday morning my Dad and I made another trip to Yum Yum to meet with George Lau, the son of the couple I'll be staying with in Hong Kong. (He is studying finance and accounting at James Madison University and was in Richmond for summer break). George generously sat with us for an hour and a half to prepare me for my immersion into HK society. I learned about certain customs like accepting a business card with two hands and taking my shoes off at the door when entering a home. Coincidentally, I was also informed that there are no fortune cookies in HK. NO FORTUNE COOKIES IN HK!?! Goodness gracious. The title of this blog clearly demonstrates my naivety. George followed that up by assuring me they do not eat cat or dog in HK either. How did he know that was my next question? Regardless, I have to admit I'm relieved.

I cannot believe I'll be on a plane in only 36 hours! I've been planning this trip for a year now and somehow I feel completely unprepared. I'm sure it's just moving-halfway-around-the-world jitters, but it's still overwhelming. This is my last night in Richmond and I am definitely feeling the pressure of this huge, life-changing move. I am a horrible packing procrastinator too, which of course only adds to my stress level. I am sure things will come together though. Miraculously, they always do. In the meantime, I'm going to do the best I can and keep trusting in God to take care of me.

No comments: