Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Tsim Sha Tsui Rotary Club- 1st Meeting





Unlike the Rotary clubs I've visited in the US, Hong Kong clubs are very small. There are only 21 members of the Tsim Sha Tsui Rotary Club (my host club). Agnes Lau is my host Rotarian counselor and we hit it off immediately. (She appears to be in her early thirties and is a successful corporate lawyer in Central). In fact, I thoroughly enjoyed every Rotarian that I met. There were even Rotarians visiting from Switzerland and the Causeway Bay Rotary Club. (I got the latter's business card so I can arrange to speak at one of his upcoming meetings). The luncheon speaker was Dr. Wong, a medical professional specializing in stem cell research. He was trying to sell the benefits by persuading everyone it can take years off their appearance. A lot of the older gentlemen got very excited about that.

Anges and I are having lunch tomorrow night and I look forward to getting to know her better. I think we could be pretty good friend. We've already touched on the boyfriend subject. She said that she doesn't have one because the dating scene is very difficult in HK. The women out-number the men exponentially, and the good men ("husband material") are typically taken off the market pretty early. She said that only leaves a pool of men that are lazy or intimidated by successful, independent women. I recommended New York. I said she and her boyfriend can both be successful and independent. The city atmosphere of NYC is also very similar to HK. She just laughed.

Below is a video snippit of Dr. Wong's presentation and another clip of Tsim Sha Tsui's club president presenting (or trying to) a Rotary flag as a gift to Dr. Wong.



No comments: