Yesterday (Thursday) Suk Yee told me that Typhoon Nuri was heading for Hong Kong (currently we are right in the middle of it). I thought, WOW, a TYPHOON… that’s pretty exciting! Naturally, I had lots of questions. Turns out typhoons range from a level 1 (mild rain) to a level 10 (storm is directly above, characterized by gale force winds and torrential downpours). When there is a level 8 all offices and schools close. The only places that stay open are restaurants and supermarkets. I even received an e-mail from the Journalism and Media Studies Center (JMSC) listserve stating that our first class, previously scheduled for this Saturday, would be cancelled due to the typhoon. I can’t believe my first week in HK includes a category-9 typhoon (the current classification) and NO CLASS!
I visited my friend, Brad, yesterday at his home on Discovery Bay and he told me that typhoons are great because all the bars/clubs run drink specials. I believe he said that the higher the typhoon level, the cheaper the drinks are. I think that’s crazy! It takes a very special person to willingly put himself/herself in danger and get drenched just for a cheap cocktail. I think Brad will readily admit that he is one such special person. ;)
I visited my friend, Brad, yesterday at his home on Discovery Bay and he told me that typhoons are great because all the bars/clubs run drink specials. I believe he said that the higher the typhoon level, the cheaper the drinks are. I think that’s crazy! It takes a very special person to willingly put himself/herself in danger and get drenched just for a cheap cocktail. I think Brad will readily admit that he is one such special person. ;)
Something else I found interesting is HK’s typhoon alert system. I’m assuming the majority of people own a television; otherwise I have no idea how they find out (other than looking out the window or possibly listening to the radio). Anyway, a small symbol appears at the top left-hand corner of the TV with a number next to it depicting the current level of the storm. It is continually updated depending on the typhoon’s progress and appears on every single channel, so you’re always updated no matter what you’re watching. It’s really cool. There are some photos below tracking the typhoon from a 3 to a 9. (I took them while we were watching the Olympics). Originally the meteorologists were calling for a 10, but the typhoon has changed course slightly and won’t hit HK directly.

No comments:
Post a Comment