I spoke with one young man from Myanmar who had to sneak out of his country illegally just to come to school in HK. It is the first time he's ever been out of Myanmar and it took him 10 days by foot and bus until he reached a safe location to catch a flight to HK. All he brought with him was a backpack with a couple of outfits. He also told me about the 7 years he served (of a 21-year sentence) in prison. His crime was peacefully speaking out against the government. The cruel conditions he was forced to endure while in prison are mind-boggling. And if his story isn't inspiring enough, he also organized a relief group to help those hurt by the recent cyclone in Myanmar, delivering supplies himself. I'm in awe.
Another conversation that left me feeling slightly stunned was one I had today with Leani, a female student from South Africa. She was casually talking about something involving her hometown and mentioned not being able to drive alone. I thought that was really strange and asked why. Rather matter-of-factly she explained that women cannot walk alone or drive alone because of the risk of being attacked. She said the most vulnerable point is right when you pull into your driveway because, even though there are security systems and gates, men can get in and stop you at gunpoint. From there they have total control. They can steal your car, force you inside to steal more, and rape and/or murder you. Leani made it sound like this is a fairly common practice. As a result, girls are taught at an early age to be fearful and cautious. Again, listening to her I felt so sheltered, as well as humbled, by how little I know about the world and the conditions under which other people/societies are forced to live. I realize how blessed I am and almost feel guilty about it. It's a hard feeling to describe.
Changing course a bit, here are some additional things I've learned about Hong Kong...
- There are only a few permanent cemeteries in HK. All are at maximum capacity, so anyone buried now only stays temporarily and is exhumed after 7 years. (I have no idea what happens after that).
- All taxes from money won at the horse track go toward funding local charities (government never sees a dime).
- 1/3 of HK population lives in government-assisted public housing.
1 comment:
Sarah -
Just checking out your blog. Sounds like you are having quite an adventure. You mention Munich as being awesome. i am taking my first trip there in October. Any advice?
Make the most of your trip. I am sure you will.
Jimmy Gibbs
Post a Comment